Tuesday 22 June 2010

The search for a new room mate (only remotely cartoon-related ;-))

You probably all know my real Zoë passed away last December when I was only half way this story. It's my main motivation for finishing it now though, because cartoon-Zoë will live forever! :-)

But I have also started looking for a new room mate this week. I have two options at the moment and I am wondering about your opinions.

I am looking for a pure breed Netherland Dwarf Loppy (Nederlandse Hangoordwerg or NHD) because they only get about 1 1/2 times the size of Zoë, who was a pure breed Netherland Dwarf Bunny (Nederlands dwergkonijn) but they have those cute loppy ears as well.

First option is a blue NHD that is already 5 weeks old. So that one could come home with me in a couple of weeks. But the owner is not an official breeder, so I am not absolutely certain she is pure-breed, and I don't know what her character will be like.

And I don't know how to feel about the colour. She (or one of her brothers) looks like this:


Here is another picture of a blue female loppy:


The other option is a bunny that is only two weeks old right now (so I would have to wait a little longer) and is a bit further away (10 km north of Tiel) but this is a licensed breeder so I would be certain of breed and real breeders also make sure they breed bunnies with a great character, so less chance of an aggressive bunny. She doesn't know how many female bunnies she has yet, but the nest counts 7 and the next nest is expected this week. So she will most probably have a little bunny for me in 5 to 7 weeks.
The colour is 'sallander' and that looks like this:

One of her bunnies with a nest of about 4 to 5 weeks old (ears haven't 'dropped' yet):


More accurate depiction of the colour:


The mother of the 2 week old nest:


some more of her pictures:


So.. what do you all think I should do? I am going to check out the blue bunny tonight.

5 comments:

  1. Die 2e hebben een hogere aaawh-factor bij mij. Vind die lichte kleur mooi ^^.
    En als je heel graag zeker wilt zijn dat het een raskonijn is, zou ik helemaal voor de 2e gaan ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persoonlijk zou ik gaan voor de gecertificeerde fokker. Dan heb je toch iets meer zekerheid, en je hebt meer garantie dat je konijntje gezond is. En dan is die paar weekjes extra wachten zijn dan echt de moeite waard.
    ...ik vind dat grijs zo mooi...

    Groetjes,
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dankjullieweeeeel!
    Hi hi, ik ga vanavond naar de hobbyist met het BLAUWE (is wel grijs, maar heet blauw, hi hi) konijntje om eens te kijken, maar ik nijg nu zelf ook meer naar de Sallander kleurige bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niet om je te verwarren maar ik had een groot AAAAAH-gevoel bij die blauwe droppies. Ook al zijn ze misschien een beetje vuilnisbakkies. Maar mijn konijnenkennis is verder niet zio uitgebreid; go with your gut zou ik zeggen.

    Succes, X10

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gut is confusing me! Gisteren zag ik de moeder en dacht ik: veel te groot, doe maar niet, maar ik heb twee dagen bedenktijd gevraagd en vandaag denk ik weer.. aaaaaaw..
    AAAARGH!

    ReplyDelete